With winter right around the corner, there are plenty of things to look forward to- a break from school, holiday parties, snow activities, warm fires, hot cocoa, New Years and much more. Make the most out of this winter by being the best you that you can be! One thing to pay utmost attention to is your skin- when you look your best, you feel your best and you do your best. Wintery dry air, harsh winds and freezing temperatures can come with some major drawbacks for your skin. The cold air outside mixed with heated inside air results in low humidity which dries out your skin. Have you switched to your winter skin care routine yet ? It is definitely time to. The most sensitive skin on your body is your face, and it has to battle all the winter elements- here are some tips to protect your skin, stay moisturized and keep a healthy complexion this winter.
1. Switch it up
- New weather means new skin care products. First step: Face wash. Opt for a gentle oil-based cleanser and avoid all harsh alcohol-based and water-based cleansers.
2. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize
- Apply moisturizer from head to toe immediately after you shower. Your face specifically needs more moisturizer during these frigid months. Splurge on a rich, heavy moisturizer that locks in moisture and is ideal for your specific skin type. Don’t forget about SPF- the sun’s UVA and UVB rays are still strong and just as damaging even though we can’t feel the warmth. Ingredients are key- ideally use oil based moisturizers with Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
3. Kiss dull skin goodbye
- Dull skin is caused by dead skin flakey build up. Exfoliate- 2 to 3 times a week to rid your skin of any build up and reveal a healthy complexion.
4. Pucker up
- Your lips are very important during the winter season-that new red lipstick you wanna rock to a holiday party or what if you get caught under the mistletoe with a special someone. Lips easily suffer, dry cracky lips are every gals worst nightmare. Consider a lip scrub and exfoliate once a week, always carry a hydratring lip ointment/balm with you and lather vaseline on before bed and you should be good to go!
5. Keep it Luke Warm
- Even though the freezing outside temperatures make us crave hot steamy showers, too much hot water can seriously dry your skin out. Aim to cool down your daily shower. If this is difficult, try a cooler temperature every other shower.
6. Stay Hydrated
- Drink water like there is no tomorrow. Even though you don’t always crave a tall glass of ice water like in the summer, water is just as important and commonly overlooked for a cup of coffee in the winter.
- A humidifier could be pricey, but it is a great investment for those who suffer from dry, itchy winter skin. Humidifiers add a great deal of moisture to the inside air that gets stripped of moisture when the heat kicks on.
Here are a few of my go-to skin care products in the winter:
(1)Jose Maran- 100 Percent Pure Argan Oil (2) Fresh- Soy Face Cleanser (3)Korres- Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Facial (4) Origins- VitaZing SPF 15 Energy-Boosting Moisturizer with Mangosteen (5) Fresh- Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 (6) L’Occitane- Ultra Rich Face Scrub (7) Lush- Mint Julips Lip Scrub (8) Lush- Dream Cream