Between finals, figuring out safe travel plans, and the overall feel of 2020 ending, makeup has been the last thing on my mind. On my occasional run to the grocery store, I may brush my brows and pop some mascara on just to feel something. However, as the snow beings to fall and Zoom Christmas party invites are emailed out, I have been gravitating towards my previously abandoned makeup bag a little more each day.
I have noticed that my Zoom chat pings and dings a little more when I have popped on a bright lip, complementing me on both color and the motivation I must possess to still get ready in times such as these. A long time favorite of supermodel Kendall Jenner and pop star Taylor Swift, bright red has been my favorite, as of late. The dash of color brings both holiday cheer and a timeless look it adds to any ensemble, making even the most relaxed outfit seem a little more polished.
After countless attempts and more than one YouTube tutorial later, here is what I have found to be the perfect application process:
- Exfoliate your lips. Taker’s choice here, you can use your toothbrush, a lip scrub, or washcloth. Scrub lips for up to fifteen seconds or until soft.
- Moisturize! Personally, Aquaphor has changed my life but any chapstick or lip balm will do.
- Apply lip liner. Optional. I only use lip liner when I want to look as posh as possible and normally prefer to skip this step, opting for a more muted look.
- Apply lipstick. I start at the center of my lips and work outwards.
- Blot. A folded piece of toilet tissue will do the trick. Gently place between lips and close your mouth.
- Reapply as needed!
Below are some of my (and Kendall and Taylor’s) favorite lipsticks!